The Jacksonville Bulldog Club was founded in 1946 and was originally named the Jacksonville University of Georgia Alumni Club. Years later, it was renamed the Georgia Bulldog Club of Jacksonville.
In 1974, searching for something different for the Bulldog Breakfast program, Howard H. Davis, Jr., then owner of The Southeast Georgian in Kingsland, contacted Dan Magill, Director of Information for the University of Georgia Athletic Department. He asked if someone in the Art Department of the University could draw something for the club.
In 1976, that artwork was adopted as the club’s official insignia. A large red felt banner was constructed with the logo on it along with the words “Jacksonville Bulldog Club”. It was used at the Coaches Banquet and Breakfast that year. To replace the pennant, two large round hand-painted insignias were painted and were used as backdrops at all formal occasions for many years. The insignia is now used on all printed materials, letterheads, envelopes, programs, awards, bumper stickers and placards.
As part of the membership fee, each member receives some form of personal item with the insignia. In past years there have been lapel pins, key chains, iron-on embroidered patches, car tags, window decals and other items.
All members, past and present, owe Howard H. Davis, Jr. a debt of gratitude for procuring for our club the perfect symbol which immediately became, and will forever be, synonymous with the Georgia Bulldog Club of Jacksonville.